segunda-feira, 20 de abril de 2009

Have I "travelled in words"?

Last week I received the first serious critique about my way of writing. How do I feel about that? I feel good, but not totally comfortable.
When you put your ideas on a sheet of paper they usually make a lot of sense to you. But, unfortunately, sometimes they don't seem clear to people who read them. Well, that was what happened to me. I thought I had written a story, but actually I hadn't. It happened because a story is supposed to be structured , but mine had no structure at all.
The point is, why hadn't I realised this while I was writing it? Maybe because it seems to me , even right now, that my "story" was OK. I can see a situation 1, a conflict and a situation 2 on it. But why can't people see it? I think it's because they are not me. All the structure of my text was in my head, but I didn't put it on the paper. So what did I put on the paper? Hmm..I don't know.Maybe only ideas. Maybe I just have "travelled in words"... But even travels are supposed to have a beginning, a middle and an end. Don't they?
Something that is not clear to me is : why do stories must to have a pattern of structure?

3 comentários:

  1. I think re-writing things is as important as writing the first time.
    Maybe if you got back to the text you wrote (I don't know if you did), you would feel the very same difficulties and would solve them easily. I think stories must have a pattern, but not the pattern that is imposed to them, but the pattern and the rhythm they themselves choose to have, and be good at it!

    ResponderExcluir
  2. Thanks so much for having started, Raquel! And thanks for the comments, Catarina. I hope we can discuss this better in class, but I guess we can start thinking of an answer by asking ourselves "what do we want from a story?" "What's it meant to do?"

    ResponderExcluir
  3. Well, I've always being used to write stuff because I was told to, or because that was worth a passing grade in an international exam. Don't get me wrong,I really like writing, but I don't think that writing stories or fiction is my forte... I leave that to the experts, since in my opinion this kind of writing is for people who are born with the talent. I'd rather have a topic to guide myself.

    Anyway...
    Raquel, don't worry...You're still gonna be very much criticized throughout your life, and the important thing is not felling like a piece of crap when you get negative reviews, but concentrate on what went wrong and what is within reach to be improved next time!

    XOXO

    ResponderExcluir

so... what do you think?